Haute Mom to Twin boys!

no more blues~11/14/06 BLUE 04/17/06

My Photo
Name:
Location: H Town, Texas, United States

38 y/o married to my best friend since 9/12/1998; We met in 1992. Married in 1998; I'm a '91 graduate of the Univ. of Houston. Working on Masters degree in French Literature when I met the love of my life! He was in law school. I left my job in 1996 to work w/him when he opened his Law firm. Married in 1998. Working on our "family" diligently & actively since June 2004; 2 miscarriages, one Sept 2004 and another Dec 2004; Break from TTC per doctor's orders in Jan 2005; resumed family planning once all genetic testing was completed. March 2005 BFN; April 2005 BFN! May 2005 BFN! June 2005? Doc had "the" talk with us, if no bfp this cycle, it's on to IVF --test tube baby for us? maybe! Update: July 2005 underwent 1st IVF cycle, with SUCCESS! We conceived two beautiful little boys, born March 30, 2006 via emergency c-section. I am now wallowing in the joys of early motherhood. That is, lack of sleep, fatigue. My compensation? Smiles from the babies in the middle of the night... 11/14/2006: Babies are now 7 1/2 months old and I couldn't be more happy!

Thursday, September 01, 2005

The money pit

Seems like since the day we moved into this house, we've had nothing but expenditure after expenditure. I can't even begin to count how many times we've had plumbers, electricians, a/c men, cable, pest control, you name it, in our home, trekking to & fro repairing something or other. Not to menton the things we have yet to address, like the foundation issues we are clearly having....lots of cracks in the corners of doorways and some door now not closing all the way. Well nothings changed....

We've been without the hall bathroom since about June. Prior to that, we had toilet problems (I'd say about April)had that repaired, but apparently, what they did, didn't do the job. In June the toilet finally backed up on us again. Since then, Hubby hasn't been able to get the same plumbers out..or the alternate plumbers for that matter. Seems they are avoiding us like the plague...as if our problems aren't worth what we pay for repairs....So finally, after almost 8 weeks of no hall bath, we're having plumbers come in to "fix" the toilet problem, which has been backing up into the shower (ew, I know) after which I dare say I'll vehemently hate showering in until someone cleans it. So finally, after complaining that, hey, a pregnant woman shouldn't be exposed to "toxic" material or smells (i.e., the crap in the shower) new plumbers will be coming out tomorrow to look at our problem and hopefully, not gouge our eyes out in the process.

On top of that...we found that our beloved Formal Dining room has, once again, fallen victim to what we thought was rain damage.. We had that repaired in 2002. I can't even begin to remember the total cost, just know it was thousands of dollars. Then, I had to pay someone $375 just to clean my Maria Theresa chandelier, since it had filled with soot and flaking paint from the water damage. Not to mention that my dining table was all but ruined...still have not called Kinkaid to find out if they sell the replacement leaves.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So Hubby decided one day to open the door (we keep it closed to keep Tango out of there) and voila! water damage had once again torn a whole in our ceiling, dripping onto my dining table (again) and of course, causing ceiling damage and messing up my chandelier....

So, hubby had a bright idea. He thought it hadn't rained enough for there to be this kind of so-called water damage... So he called Roger(yes, we are now on a first name basis with our A/C guy, having replaced so many a/c units-our home takes 3 to cool/heat-and heating elements it isn't even funny.) So Roger came on out, took a look up in the attic and determined that, the coil was rusted, the water pan thing-a-ma-jig is rusted, and basically it all needs replacing....wha? again? Total cost? $1,050.00---wow.

Add to that our plumbers bill ??? ---looks like we're not gonna have a fun weekend at all....

Add to that the fact that we have a long laundry list of things around the house that need repair/replacement (see oh, a post April 22, 2005) and I think I even posted one before or after that....sigh

Good thing is, Hubby is starting to nest, hence the sudden movement on getting everything in order.

Oh, and did I mention that we had a major water break upstairs a few months back, which resulted in water damage to my utility room (yes it leaked all the way through to the 1st floor) So this Saturday, we have a guy coming over to assess/estimate the cost of tearing down the ceiling/re-applying a ceiling *whatever that is called* then repainting etc....He's also going to paint the garage (a very long awaited project) so that I can finally park my car in there....I've refused to since we moved in, it stinks in there, its hot and there are spiders everywhere.....

All this to say, I'm glad the nesting bug has hit Hubby. He doesn't have a lot of honey-do's from me. He has yardmen --so yardwork is never a problem. I have a maid....who comes in to do the "hard" and tedious stuff. I'd say we're about equal on that end. But every now and then the patio needs power washing (yes, I bought him not one, but two power washers), the cob webs need taking down from the porte-coche, where bees tend to nest and make mud-houses everywhere, thereby causing me to run in and out of the house to my car everyday.....yes, this house has been a money pit from the day we moved in...requiring a full inside & outside paint job from day 1, and that was just the beginning...

Roger will be here at 7am tomorrow. Once his work is done, we'll be having the guy who's repairing the utility room, also look at the dining room, and give us his estimate on getting that repaired. Of course, before ANY of that work starts, I need my chandelier taken down....for fear that the guy will do sth and I envision coming hom to see poor Maria Theresa on the floor, crashed and broken in millions of gazillions of little pieces.... yes before anything, Maria Theresa is coming down....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home